This project was conceived to be the first farmers market within urban Pittsburgh since the demolition of the North Side Market House in the early 1950’s. Homewood’s redevelopment organization, HBRDC, envisioned an informal multi-cultural facility with food and craft vendors that would attract patrons from the neighborhood and beyond.
The building features space for poultry, produce, and gift shop vendors as well as a mini-museum that displays photos and other information about Homewood’s history and its revitalization plan. Also, not visible in the photos, are parking accommodations for up to 25 cars and/or warm weather outdoor events.
Created in the spirit of the old North Side Market, the Homewood Farmer’s Market was very successful in turning urban blight into a place of festive interaction.